Kenya Universities and Colleges Central Placement Services (KUCCPS), which admits students to universities, colleges and technical institutions, is expected to make the highly anticipated announcement today although all learning institutions are closed due to the Covid-19 crisis.
A total of 125,449 students scored a C+ and above and will be distributed across the country’s 74 public and private universities. Another 563,479 who scored between grade C and E will be given an opportunity to apply for courses in Technical and Vocational Education and Training (Tvet) institutions.
Tvet institutions, however, can only absorb about 350,000 students which is about 62 per cent. The rest, 38 per cent, will be enrolled in vocational institutions across the country.
According to the 2019 KCSE results, the number of qualifiers for university slots shot up by 13.7 per cent, with 35,369 more students making the cut for university entry compared to 90,377 in the 2018 KCSE examination.
All universities have a declared capacity of 193,878 this year but the Commission for University Education has revised this to only 138,287, mainly because of course duplication and programmes with no takers.
Public universities can only enrol 114,000, which means that the rest 11,449 will be enrolled in private universities under Government sponsorship.
The government pays Sh150,000 per year for every student in public university and only 60,000 for those in private universities.
It is because of this funding disparity that Strathmore and the United States International University enrol their students independently.